• Apprentice
    18 May 2024, 11:57 p.m.

Hi everyone, I have a IW371604, so 69355 calibre movement and that has a 46 hour power reserve. If I fully wind my watch before putting it on, will I have the same power reserve at the end of the week whether I wear my watch 20 hours a day or 20 min a day? For example, if I fully wind it and then wear it 20 hours a day for a period of time, let's say seven days, then I take it off, I expect that if I look at my watch 45.5 hours after I take it off, my watch will still be running. Now, if I fully wind it then wear it for 20 min then store it somewhere (not on a winder) until the next day and then I wear it for 20 min that day and I repeat this for seven days, will my watch still be running 45.5 hours after I take it off at that point?

I've been reading that you have to wind your watch more if you have a desk job versus if you are on your feet more, so I suspect that the 20 min a day of use won't be enough to keep the watch fully wound, and will reduce the power reserve even though it is being worn daily. I would love it if someone could explain this to me though. If I'm correct, does anyone know roughly how much wear an automatic watch should get daily to stay fully wound?

• Graduate
    19 May 2024, 7:17 a.m.

Hi

Your thoughts are absolutely correct: When wearing the automatic watch only for 20 minutes a day, these 20 minutes of charging power will most probably not be enough to compensate the loss of power during the 23 hours and 40 minutes during which your watch is running without being moved.

The length of wear that is necessary to compensate one day of run is depending on the efficiency of the charging mechanism of the movement and the level of activity of your wrist and therefore difficult to determine. If you went jogging with your watch and the it had a very efficient Pellaton-charging mechanism, the above mentioned 20 minutes would even be sufficient. On the other hand if you sat a lot without special activity of your wrist, you could lose power reserve throughout a whole workday.

You see, there's probably no general answer to your question. Enjoy your great watch and find out for yourself!

Philipp

• Apprentice
    20 May 2024, 3:36 a.m.

Thanks so much for your reply. That makes perfect sense.

• Master
    20 May 2024, 1:30 p.m.

Great explanation Philipp!

• Master
    21 May 2024, 12:50 a.m.

Thank You Philipp.
    I will add that the Pellaton Winding System is incredibly efficient. On my 5001.07, I wild it to 4 days power reserve, and by the end of the day of normal desk job activity, it is fully up to 7 days.

• Apprentice
    22 May 2024, 1:34 a.m.

It will vary for each movement, but I find that wearing a Big Pilot for a few hours each evening (mostly not very active, eating dinner and watching a film) is enough to keep it going.

• Apprentice
    22 May 2024, 6:05 a.m.

Oh wow that's impressive and encouraging. Thanks for the info. Also, great watch.