• Master
    28 Dec 2013, 3:14 p.m.

Many years ago, I was out wreck diving on the North Sea.

Now, this type of diving is not for everyone and can be quiet adventures. Bad visibility, strong currents - it's easy to lose contact with the guide lines and get yourself lost underwater. Which probably means you cant find your way back to the shot line - which is your ascent line back to the decompression trapeze station under the diving ship. This is what the dive crew looked like....

farm4.staticflickr.com/3743/11603862506_f5ae3de8f5_c.jpg

Now, notice the heavy steel hammer and crow bars - used to remove artifacts from the wrecks. Something I personally don't agree with - but, as the Dutch authorities are clearing away the old wrecks allowing salvage's to take the metal for scrap there is little argument against it.

Visibility is bad, and most things are heavily buried under silt and/or overgrown with coral growth.

You think you spot something - and it turns out to be a crab!

farm6.staticflickr.com/5527/11603698026_0eaaf9f25e_o.jpg

Then you see something - undoubtedly man made! No doubt about it.... a pipe of sorts leading up to something with a clear round shape.

farm3.staticflickr.com/2875/11603152393_df29ea28a9_o.jpg

Well, I made the mistake of pointing out this "round object" to one of the divers in the group... only later to see him during the ascent, with this "block of coral" tucked under his arm.

Back on the diving ship, I chastised the diver reminding him that this was a war wreck - that young men had probably died on the sinking ship and that he should have shown some respect. Well needless to say, there was no respect - and after some discussion I simply told the guy I was watching him and that I fully expected that he should put it back "over the side".

Back in port after the two day trip and as we left the ship - he knew I was watching him! And I painstakingly scrutinized his diving crate - and fortunately for him, it was not in there.

I went back on-board to do a last gear check, and sure enough there that lump of coral sat - he had it "hidden" under the deck bench and left it there. Now, whether or not he planned to return to pick it up I do not know, but all I did know was that he was not going to get away with it. So, I took it with me (knowing full well, that that the ships crew would simply toss it over the side into the harbor if they came upon it during cleaning the decks).

For years it lay in my office, with me feeling guilty for having pointed it out to that diver, every time I saw it on the shelf. So finally, I decided to take another look at it. Weeks of soaking in vinegar (as well as a well known soft drink on cola basis) and painstaking scraping away the growth with dentists tools - revealed this brass steam pressure gauge, that had once sat proudly on the side of the steam kettle in the machine room.

From the side of the burst valve fitting - we can read a date stamp.

farm6.staticflickr.com/5494/11603723866_aec1f2a1c5_c.jpg

The paint on the dial had long corroded away....

farm8.staticflickr.com/7365/11602959155_44eb0fe508_b.jpg

But after careful cleaning I was able to get the "movement" restored to a level where we can see it's workings - similar physics applies to the workings of the pressure gauge (depth gauge) in this watch in my collection, the Deep Two.

farm8.staticflickr.com/7345/11604138236_b0288bbcf7_z.jpg

with it's fantastic mechanical depth gauge!

farm8.staticflickr.com/7340/11603709744_5a4b5bc9c2_c.jpg

farm3.staticflickr.com/2872/11603176703_2192103446_c.jpg

And from the rear, we can see how increasing pressure on the Bourdon tube drives the spindle...

farm8.staticflickr.com/7300/11603298934_c2a3edc374_h.jpg

I wanted to pay tribute to the young men who has served on that ship and decided that instead of leaving it this way where it was destined to gather dust in my office for years to come, to rather utilize it to serve as a reminder.

A reminder to those that served, and sailed the seas.... and in keeping with the tradition of IWC for making instrument to sail....

An IWC Deck Clock

farm6.staticflickr.com/5549/11603181524_6c12bbdaab_b.jpg

It hangs here proudly on the wall - in tribute to the men of HMS Cressy

farm8.staticflickr.com/7388/11603180854_68468cb108_h.jpg

supported by some other IWC memorable in my collection.

farm3.staticflickr.com/2851/11603610426_2c0553cdce_b.jpg

• 28 Dec 2013, 3:37 p.m.

Hi Mark

Thanks for sharing this amazing story. As a diver (but not tech-diver)and IWC lover it was great to read your story.

Happy New Year
    Chris

• Master
    28 Dec 2013, 4:16 p.m.

Mark - loved the story, but I love what you did with it even more! That is such a cool wall/deck clock, and so very well done.

One of these years, maybe when cycling isn't taking all my spare time, I will have to join you guys for a diving adventure;-)

• Master
    28 Dec 2013, 4:25 p.m.

Mark,
    Your exploits never cease to amaze me. At first I was not sure where the post was headed. But, as usual, you do not disappoint. Comparing the movement to the depth gauge was very cool. Thanks for the insight.

• Master
    28 Dec 2013, 4:25 p.m.

Mark - we can always count on you for something unexpected. That's a wonderful story and a fitting tribute. Well done.

Unlike Skule, I'm perfectly content to read about your diving adventures rather than share them. :-)

• Master
    28 Dec 2013, 5:14 p.m.

As usual, great story Mark.

Looking forward to explore a wreck with you.

• Master
    28 Dec 2013, 6:39 p.m.
  • Master
    28 Dec 2013, 7:20 p.m.

Wow, what a story! I know I heard part of it in Richmond, but this had the full adventure included. Great work!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Were you able to find out an history of the boat?

Terry

Ps - I flipped this into my Flipboard magazine and will send you the link.

• Master
    28 Dec 2013, 8:17 p.m.

One word, no two: WOW and fascinating. Thanks for sharing you adventure and worthy project.

• Master
    28 Dec 2013, 9:35 p.m.

Terrific story and labor of love. Bravo Zulu. You never cease to amaze us.

• Master
    29 Dec 2013, 6:08 a.m.

Nice little story with cool pics mate. Enjoyed reading it.

• Connoisseur
    29 Dec 2013, 8:37 a.m.

Excellent story and what you have got in the end is so nice.
    Great picture report. Thanks for sharing it!

Kind regards, Daniel

• Master
    29 Dec 2013, 12:19 p.m.

Terrific story, Mark. Fascinating to read this report and to see the artifacts both "before" and "after".

• Master
    29 Dec 2013, 8:50 p.m.

Thanks to Cellar for pointing out the Deep One article. In fact the Deep One Depth gauge and the steam kettle pressure gauge from HMS Cressy - both work exactly the same way; with a bourdon tube.

With full credit to Peter Nievaart - I repost that section of his 2008 article here.

farm8.staticflickr.com/7420/11631446385_cc5b8fdc4c_b.jpg

• Master
    22 May 2024, 2:14 a.m.

What a fantastic story buried in the archives almost impossible to find. We need a search function!