• Apprentice
    17 Jun 2024, 3:40 p.m.

Good morning,

I just noticed my Big Pilot Top Gun Perpetual Calendar IW502902 is around 30 minutes slow every morning.

On the timegrapher it reads +5 seconds per day.

I'm wondering if something is happening as the day changes to make something "stick".

Has anyone seen this before or have any idea of what's going on?

Thanks,

-Peter

• Apprentice
    18 Jun 2024, 3:53 a.m.

This is not at all normal, it sounds as if a Service Repair will be required.

Regards,

Dave V.

• Master
    18 Jun 2024, 4:02 a.m.

I had this very strange behaviour suddenly manifest in my Portugieser 5001.

It ran reliably and accurately during the day, all day, but by morning it had lost 20 minutes.

I began to suspect that pushing the date change was requiring a lot of energy, causing the time loss. I tried changing the date manually, but that worked as normal.

I sent it in for service and after diagnostic, it was found that a loose pinion had caused the difficult date change.

It has been reliable after the easy fix.

• Apprentice
    20 Jun 2024, 5:04 p.m.

Thanks Mark!

It really seems like what's going on...

I have the watch stopped this morning and tomorrow I'm going to set it to around 11:30 PM and watch it during the day to see if it slows down and when.

Just worried that something is messed up with the perpetual module.

I have a good contact at IWC I've alreayd reached out to as well.

-Peter

• Apprentice
    21 Jun 2024, 11:21 a.m.

From what I've read, it seems like some watches just need a little extra attention when it comes to regulating the timekeeping. It might be worth taking it to a good watchmaker to see if they can fine-tune it for you. Sometimes these things just need a bit of adjustment.

Also, make sure it's not getting magnetized or exposed to extreme temperatures, as that can mess with the accuracy too.

By the way, I stumbled upon this cool site, replicapatekphilippe.io , that has some interesting insights into watch maintenance and troubleshooting. Might be worth a look!From what I've read, it seems like some watches just need a little extra attention when it comes to regulating the timekeeping. It might be worth taking it to a good watchmaker to see if they can fine-tune it for you. Sometimes these things just need a bit of adjustment.

• Apprentice
    21 Jun 2024, 5:44 p.m.

I stopped the movement yesterday and set it for 11:40 PM, put it on a timegrapher and set another watch I had in my office the same...

Well it's "12:12" in the morning now, no fireworks and the BP perpetual is still keeping second to second with the other watch.

Timegrapher has shown +4 to +5 seconds the entire time.

I guess I'll keep the running until we go out later and maybe wear the watch out and keep on eye on it until 11:40 PM real time and see if it's still on track.

Super weird... local watchmaker won't touch it...

Just wish I knew something was def. wrong before sending off to IWC.

• Master
    21 Jun 2024, 5:49 p.m.

Firstly, don't let a local watchmaker touch it!

By manually advancing the time to 11.40pm, the gears are already engaged and will not demonstrate the time lag. Give it at least 4 hours before the date change and see what happens.

• Apprentice
    21 Jun 2024, 5:57 p.m.

Gotcha makes sense!

Went ahead and set the watch to 7:30 PM, now it's "8:25 PM", still synced with the other watch and running +6 a day.

• Apprentice
    21 Jun 2024, 9:57 p.m.

So...

At around 11:35 pm the minute hand went back to around 11:29 pm and just stopped...

I have never seen that before...

Any ideas?

• Master
    22 Jun 2024, 3:21 a.m.

It's as I originally suspected.
    Some pinion or gear is loose in the running train and therefore requires too much power to push over the date.

The watch needs repair.
    Send it in to IWC for a maintenance service.
    There is nothing else that can be done.

• Apprentice
    24 Jun 2024, 3:51 p.m.

When it rains it pours... my wife's Rolex Yacht-Master 16622 made a little pop when winding it from stopped.

Seconds hand went back 3-4 seconds and is now stuck.

Guess I'll take that and my GST Aquatimer 2000 (runs about 30 seconds off when first started then stays at 0 after about an hour) to get serviced at the local watchmaker and send the perpetual off to IWC.

Also, just got my Royal Oak Offshore Montoya back from repair... the crown failed (aparantly common)... guess most of my watches should be good for a while now.

I guess it goes with the territory of owning slightly older watches :)