• Apprentice
    3 Jun 2024, 12:36 p.m.

Hi,

Information on model, year etc would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

/Phil

• Connoisseur
    3 Jun 2024, 8:52 p.m.

Hi, beautiful watch!

Looks to be late 1960'ies. The movement is most probably a mechanical original IWC movement called calibre 8541 or 8541B. One of the best there is. To my non-expert eyes it looks completely original, which is good for the value of the watch. Others may have a different opinion

If you take it to a competent watchmaker (not one of those guys that know only how to change batteries) s/he can open the back and let you record the serial numbers there. There are two numbers, one on the inside of the caseback, the case number, and the movement number on the movement. These should be completely different. If you post these two numbers here we can tell you a little more about when the watch was made.

If you plan on using the watch (which I highly recommend), make sure that the watchmaker gives it a service. All the oils in the mechanism dries out over the years and even if the watch seems to be running OK, running it without a recent clean will cause excessive wear on the mechanics making the next service much more expensive.

Please post again with the numbers and your plan for the future of the watch.

Best regards

Henrik

• Insider
    4 Jun 2024, 12:25 p.m.

Hi DRPHIL,

it is a Ref 809A sporting a Calibre 8541, most probably in 18k gold. A true classic wit a impeccable movement.

br

Cromagnonman

• Apprentice
    17 Jun 2024, 2:01 p.m.

Additional images...

• Insider
    17 Jun 2024, 3:17 p.m.

Hi DrPhil ,

the Model is Ref 809A, the Movement is a Cal. 8541. For the case material i revert my statement form 18ct gold to stainless steel, the first photo was a bit misleading.

The movement was made in 1964, the case was made in 1965, propably sold in 1967.

br

Cromagnonman