• Connoisseur
    14 Jun 2024, 5:28 p.m.

Many years ago there were a few posts on this subject. Now with so many new IWC-lovers on the forum it is time to tell the story again. I will tell you mine when a few posts have been added to this thread. I am almost certain that no one else has come by his/her first IWC in the same way as I did.

Your first IWC - Did you buy it, receive it as a gift or inherit it?

What model was it?

When did you join the forum?

Which is your favourite IWC, in your collection, in the current collection or one of the watches that is no longer produced?

Are there any other watch brands you like (but that you have to write with smaller letters :)

Looking forward to read your stories!

Henrik

• Master
    18 Jun 2024, 4:09 a.m.

I love this topic and Thank You Henrik for starting it.

My first IWC was a gold Cal 89 that I bought at auction. The dial and caseback were damaged and I intended to restore it. When I found out the proposed cost, I sold the 89 and used the unspent restoration fund to buy a Pilot Chronograph 3717.

I joined the Forum in 2013, which lead to a meeting in Melbourne with Anthony, and I attended a fabulous IWC event in New York in 2014. Also, a meeting with Jarrod & Steph when they passed through Toronto. Friendships I cherish to this day

The Forum has created for me a fantastic group of friends and we share fabulous time in both Schaffhausen and Geneva for SIHH and later Watches and Wonders.

• Master
    19 Jun 2024, 12:12 a.m.

My first IWC was a Mark XV that I bought myself back in September 2001 and I joined the Forum at the same time. The rest is history. ;-)

My favorite IWC is the Ingenieur Digital Date Month pictured below.

The Forum rules don't want us to talk other brands here so I won't do this. But anyway I'm only having eyes for IWC.

• Master
    19 Jun 2024, 6:11 a.m.

I purchaed a RG Portugieser as a retirement gift to myself in 2006. I immediatley became a member of the fourn and was invted to SIHH the next year. I have made many incredible friends around the globe as a result. Great topic.

• Apprentice
    20 Jun 2024, 3:24 a.m.

IWC also has a rich history and has produced many iconic watches that are no longer in active production, such as:

IWC Pilot's Watch Mark XI fnaf
    IWC Ingenieur SL
    IWC GST Aquatimer

While I don't have a personal favorite, I can appreciate the craftsmanship and heritage that IWC has in the luxury watch industry.

• Master
    21 Jun 2024, 1:36 p.m.

We need a marker opportunity to sign those posts.

• Connoisseur
    22 Jun 2024, 12:24 a.m.

Great memories Mark... we look so young!

• Connoisseur
    22 Jun 2024, 10:20 p.m.

Hi all,

Thanks for your contributions, I hope that others will join and tell their story.

I came to IWC by really good fortune: I was 6 years old and found a wristwatch close to where I lived. Someone had enjoyed the sun or dropped it or I don't know what. My parents took me to the local police station and we handed it in to the lost and found department. No one claimed it and 6 months later it was legally mine.

The watch is a ref 500 from 1952 or 1953, a wristwatch without waterproofing and not really suitable for a wild kid, so my father bought it (I spent the money on a beatiful Märklin locomotive) and he had it serviced at a master watchmaker he knew. It was his daily watch for a number of years.

When I left high school my father gave it back to me as a graduation gift (it had again been serviced by the watchmaker). Since then it has been my daily wearer (but I have a much simpler mechanical watch as my water watch/beater) and after 35 years it was really time for a major overhaul. I left it with one of the IWC agents i Stockholm with the wish that it should go to Schaffhausen for a complete overhaul. "Well, they said, we have competent watchmakers, it will be their decision". The watch was quite soon on it's way to Schaffhausen.

The service took almost a year and was quite expensive, but when it finally came back it looked fantastic. The movement had been serviced, the case had been polished and the dial had been restored. Restored, not replaced, I could tell becuase there had been an ugly scratch by the 9 (my fault, I had been clumsy when opening the case for adjustment of the rate). Under magnification you can see that there has been a scratch, but it has been expertly filled and painted over. Or what it is that you do. I like that, since the watch still has the original dial.
    That was more than ten years ago and the movement has been serviced since then, but a new total refurbishment will need to be done eventually. But either you use the watch and love it, then it will be scratched and damaged, or you leave it in the safe and how much fun is that?

The movement is a cal 852 from 1952. One of the best there is.

When I started to be internet-savvy I soon found the IWC collector's forum, and I have been a member since 2002, but a not very active poster, only checking for new posts every day.

Forgive me for not attaching a picture today, I am at the summer house in the Stockholm archipelago and the watch is in the safe at home in Stockholm. Too much water around to use it here... I will post a picture next time I am in Stockholm.

My only problem is that I wonder if I qualify as a member of the COLLECTOR's forum, I only own one other IWC, a cal 52 pocket watch. But I do definitly qualify as a member of the IWC LOVER's forum, I hope others do too.

Oh, by the way, my favourite model is hard, but probably the original Aquatimer ref 812. But there are so many others, both former and current models. The Portugeiser, the Ingenieurs the (too many to mention).

And for other brands, there is none that gets close except maybe for the brand that uses the co-axial escapement. That is a great feat of horological engineering.

I hope you enjoyed my longwinded story, please contribute yours!

Henrik

• Master
    22 Jun 2024, 11:04 p.m.

Wonderful story Henrik.
    I too have and love Cal 52 pocket watch