• Apprentice
    23 May 2024, 3:55 p.m.

Hello Fellow IWC Enthusiasts.

My 001/500 ref. 3241-007 has been in storage since 1999/2000 and needs service of the JLC movement. Otherwise it's in original condition. The underside of the Blue Croc. strap has picked up debris from the storage vinyl cushion in the original box. I hesitate sending it to IWC service center since I'm not so sure they will treat my essentially brand new timepiece with the utmost care it deserves. I've reached out to Jack Freedman but he's not able to assist.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I tried posting a wrist shot but this being my first post I couldn't figure out how to do :)

• Graduate
    24 May 2024, 1:20 a.m.

What a shame to have such a lovely Mark XII and not wear it!

• Apprentice
    25 May 2024, 3:50 a.m.

imgur.com/a/ukhkbwD

Here's a poor image. hope it comes through.

Decided to send it to IWC service center in Texas in the shipping kit they provided.

• Master
    26 May 2024, 9:10 p.m.

Being a holiday weekend, it may not be too late... If it's not broken, don't fix it. It looks amazing - is it currently running to specs?

• Apprentice
    27 May 2024, 5:17 p.m.

@BEN Thank you for your reply. I haven't even tried to hand wind the movement for fear of causing further damage if the works are already seized up. I'll try wearing it out on my walk today to see if it's enough to wind the movement and get it going. I'm also considering reaching out to my AD to see if they can assist in sending it directly to the factory in case a full service is needed. Cheers!

• Apprentice
    29 May 2024, 4:02 p.m.

Spoke with the nice IWC Concierge person. Once the TX service center examines my watch and determines the age, they will send it to Schaffhausen for the necessary sevices. It's been packaged and ready to be picked up by FedEx today. Looking forward to a successful outcome.

If this works out as expected, I will send them my small blue portugueser in Platinum as well. Need to dig that one out of storage as well, LOL.

• Apprentice
    29 Jun 2024, 7:47 p.m.

Quick update. The watch will be going back to Schaffhausen for the movement overhaul. The crown and tube have to be replaced. They offered to replace the dial and hands with SuperLuminova but I declined. I've asked them to preserve the original Tritium dial and hands. I've also asked them to install a matt blue Santoni calf leather strap to replace the shiny blue croco. Fairly excited to get it back in eight weeks.

• Connoisseur
    29 Jun 2024, 10:13 p.m.

Hi,

Best decision. A movement that has been in storage for such a long time definitely needs a service. All oils have dried up and if it had run without oils the movement could have been severly damaged. All mechanical movements need a service at least every five years. Schaffhausen always delivers the best service and it will not be cheap, but well worth it.

Lease post some more pictures whwn the watch is back from service.

Best regards

Henrik

• Graduate
    30 Jun 2024, 2:29 a.m.

When you get it back- will you wear it? Or back in the safe?